Mark this year’s International Women’s Day in Melbourne with activities to help you rediscover your city and broaden your mind.
1. Celebrate the achievements of women in our city and rediscover Melbourne after lockdown with a special International Women’s Day guided walking tour. Bring the whole family and walk in the shoes of some of Melbourne’s leading ladies, from artists to activists.
2. Enrich your next lunch break with this treasure hunt of 10 places that honour women. Wander down Amphlett Lane, which honours the iconic frontwoman of the Divinyls, or eat your lunch beside artworks dedicated to and created by women.
3. Choose to challenge stereotypes with this reading list that will inspire your thoughts and actions. Our librarians have specially selected reading ideas to help you celebrate the work of women and girls around the world who lead and shape a more equal future.
4. Learn more about the women who shaped Melbourne – from science to politics and the arts, the Women in the Life of the City publication gives you an insight into Melbourne’s most notable women.
5. Support female designers and business owners when you shop. Browse What’s On Melbourne’s showcase of talented makers, designers and small business owners to discover diverse, unique and made-to-last items created by women.
Find out more about City of Melbourne’s commitment to gender equality and ensuring that everyone in the municipality, regardless of their gender identity, has access to equal power, resources and opportunities, and are treated with dignity, respect and fairness.