People who put food waste to good use, offer musical therapy to hospital patients, and improve the health and well-being of migrant communities are among the winners of our Melbourne Awards.
Simone Carson AM and Ian Carson AM were named Melburnians of the Year for their work as co-founders of SecondBite, a non-profit that redistributes surplus fresh food to people in need.
‘I’m thrilled Simone and Ian Carson have been awarded our city’s highest accolade and named Melburnians of the Year,’ said Lord Mayor Sally Capp.
‘The Carsons are incredibly deserving winners and have contributed an enormous amount to underprivileged people in Melbourne. When they first started SecondBite in 2005, it was run by three volunteers in Victoria and moved just over 600kg of food a year.
‘Since then, it has grown at an astounding rate and recently reached a milestone of 50 million kilograms of food rescued and redistributed for people in need across Australia.’
The Melbourne Awards are our city’s highest accolades, celebrating inspirational Melburnians who dedicate their time and energy for the benefit of our city.
MELBOURNE AWARD WINNERS
Profile Award – Community
- MPavilion is a cultural hub that showcases Melbourne as Australia’s creative capital and an international design destination.
Profile Award – Corporation
- Club Melbourne Ambassador Program is an invitation-only group of thinkers and leaders that hosts international business events to promote local expertise around the world.
Community Award – Community
- Laneway Learning empowers Melburnians to share their passions and become lifelong learners through fun, accessible classes.
Community Award – Corporation
- In Harmony with Health has provided music therapy for 20 years at Royal Melbourne Hospital.
Multiculturalism Award – Community
- The Water Well Project is an Australian not-for-profit that aims to enhance the health and wellbeing of migrant communities by improving their health literacy.
Multiculturalism Award – Corporation
- Chin Communications is a full-service communications studio and critical link for businesses and governments engaging with China and the Chinese community here in Australia.
- Melbourne Cricket Club has invested heavily in sustainability efforts throughout the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground.
To find out more, visit Melbourne Awards.